We all know that when you don’t get enough sleep you tend to be cranky, irritable and out of sorts. It’s hard to be the sweet, loveable you everyone knows. Losing just one night of sleep can also result in feeling hungrier and puts you at greater risk for accidents. What I didn’t know is that over time the risks become greater, increased risk of stroke, diabetes, cancer and heart disease.
So what do you do when you can’t sleep? Well, provided pain is not the reason, here are a few tips,(taken from the Huffington Post) to helping you have a better, more restful night’s sleep.
- Stop playing video games, get off the computer and stop watching television at least an hour before bed. This helps our minds relax and prepare us for rest.
- Listening to soothing music or meditating are two great ways to help in the reduction of stress.
- Deep breathing exercises are great for lowering the heart rate and helping with sleep.
- Health magazine reports that a hot bath triggers our brain for sleep. However, it is not the hot bath but the cooling down after we get out of the tub that conditions our body for sleep.
- If you can’t sleep, don’t stay in bed. This only causes more anxiety. After 20 -30 minutes, get up. Get away from the bedroom and read a book, listen to music, meditate, do anything that helps the body relax.
Next time I will talk about the What Not To Do when you Can't Sleep.